Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Well... I tried!!

So I got a job at SaltGrass Steak house. I have never served before and I thought I would give it a try, change things up for a bit. SO this week I have been training, taking tests and learning the menu- that sort of thing.

Then on Saturday they decided to have me out on the floor to get some experience... well if any of you know me, you know that I am just naturally clumsy, so carrying a tray full of food is probably not the best idea for me. So I stared practicing on lighter trays ones with drinks or two plates on them.

One of the first plate trays that I brought out I did it!!! I balance the WHOLE thing the WHOLE way to the table. I set down the tray and as I was setting down the plate.... ooopppppssss. DID NOT see the cup of hot coffee on the table, and spilt it ALL over the little old lady. It was absolutely HORRIBLE!!!! I pretty much started crying and the manager came over. I thought I was going to DIE! So since I was already shaken up you can imagine that the rest of the night did not go well dropped a couple more drinks, but on myself this time!

All in all NOT the best night in the world!

I came home and Patrick knew it had been a hard day. He told me to go take a shower and get dressed because he was taking me out. so we went to get some food and to see HARRY POTTER!!!! That was probably the ONLY way I was going to stop thinking about my HORRIBLE night. I loved the movie. It was the BEST one yet! Honestly I don't think they could have done it better, I cannot wait until the next 2 movies. It will be interesting to see how they split the book up!

(That night I totally had nightmares about spilling coffee and plates on people! And getting yelled at and fired!)

So I have been thinking.. which is never a good idea... that I am NOT going to be doing the SaltGrass thing. I didn't like the atmosphere. all the people who work there are still in college WAY into partying and well, being college kids. And as MUCH as I am YOUNGER than almost all of them, I Definentally am not in the same boat. I am happily married, and I don't drink... pretty much the complete opposite of all the people who work there. The manager promised me that I would not have to work Sundays, but THAT was a lie. So I figured I don't want to work in a place that I don't like, cant do that work, and would be working all weekend. So i am quitting before I start, and get into something that I know I wouldn't like.

NOW if it was the only job that I had, of course I would stick it out. But for right now I am still at Berrett Pest Control, and for the most part liking what I do. It is kind of nice to try different things and figure out what I like! I keep thinking more and more that I would like to be a 3rd or 4th grade teacher. It just is the one thing that keeps appealing to me. SO I think I will just keep working until we are out of debt then I can start finding things that I like, and hopefully I will be able to go back to school and get a teaching degree.

1 comment:

  1. haha, you poor thing. Yeah- waiting tables is not for the faint of heart. The people are interesting, the work is super duper hard, and it doesn't start to actually pay well till you get reeally good at what you do. I know you're probably still wanting to shake things up work and such... I'll keep my eyes peeled for you :)

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete